Saturday, April 27, 2013

Saturday April 27

Worked on a few different items today.
Spray painted hood a white primer while the weather was still nice.
I also sprayed the four wheel rims a silver metallic coat, all turned out perfect.
Started to work on forearm basic design, so far going good with elbow straps and velcro to hold in place.
The square box material I am using for the forearms is vinyl fence post from Home Depot, light weight and easy to work with.
I need to come up with an inside cushion around wrist that still allows for flexibility.
The final look for forearms will be black similar to sketch.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Second Launcher

Finished constructing the second launcher and missile.
Providing tomorrow will have decent weather, I will spray paint the missiles chrome metallic and do a minor white touch-up on the launchers.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Missile Launcher #1

Finished constructing Missile Launcher #1 today.
PVC glue smells bad but works awesome.
Amazing how creative one can get with just PVC pipe connections and a few pieces of vinyl siding. 
It also helps to have the right tools, such as band saw, belt sander, drill and bits, etc.
The funnels worked perfect for the missile with a few trimming.
Will probably leave the launcher white and spray the missile a metallic chrome.



Friday, April 19, 2013

Modify Leg Fenders Fsteners

Came up with new idea for strapping leg fenders to my shins. 
The previous concept with the foam cushions and nylon straps was too tight and didn't hold in place when walking around.
Found some used baseball catchers leg guards real cheap for $9 at a Play It Again Sports outlet store
Going to affix the leg guards directly to the fender plastic inside, which will have a secure and comfortable fit.  
I will have to come up with a different procedure to fasten leg fenders when it comes time to suit-up, rather than screwing together the fender in place around my leg.


Sunday, April 14, 2013

Missile Launcher Mounts

This Transformers Prowl costume wouldn't be complete if I left out the missile launchers
The mount bracket is two flat vinyl boards glued together and then attached to PVC fixture from back-pack harness.
Found the missile launcher mounts at Lowe's at a discount, they are PVC deck railing brackets from a mismatched opened package.
The launchers themselves with missiles will be easy to make from PVC and vinyl pieces.  
The missiles will not fire of course, just for looks, but would be cool if did like a Nerf gun or something.
I found some cheap plastic funnels in various sizes at Harbor Freight that I will use for the missile cone-tips.



Going to use a pair of black mechanic work gloves for hands with some white plastic pieces glued on.
The plastic from storage bins wouldn't bend the way I wanted it to, kept cracking wrong or snaping off when trying to bend 90°  .
I found some cheap ice-cube trays at .99 cent store to use for finger covers and glue-gun them onto gloves.


Received the decals I ordered in the mail on Friday.
Thank you
A total of six Autobot insignias in red: four at 2 inches wide and two at 3 inches wide.
The 2 inch ones will go on shoulders and lower fenders.
One single 3 inch will go on center hood.
The lettering for "HIGHWAY PATROL" and "POLICE" in pairs will go on doors.
I will custom print the star shield myself with decal sheet and home PC printer.


Leg Fenders

On Wednesday applied primer to the lower leg fenders and worked on ideas to attach fenders to lower leg. 
First attempt was using velcro and elastic straps around calf and also behind knee, didn't hold.   
Second attempt used regular nylon strap with adjustment loops with better results.
The straps supported the weight of fender completely but was too tight around leg.  Mobility was moderate and not too limited.  
Just one lower fender assembly is 18 inches wide so I may have to go a little sideways through doors.


Sunday, April 7, 2013

Feet Covering

First attempt at attaching cover plastic to platform feet successful.  I used screws and rivets to attach plastic pieces directly to platform material.  Boot will be covered by lower leg assembly, which I need to complete.  Now to do the other foot.

Friday, April 5, 2013

Platform Feet

   Worked on the platform feet today.  First I tried 6 1/2 inches tall with rubber sole and old pair of boots attached.  The platform material is vinyl molding that is one inch thick, 3 1/2 inches wide and cut into ten inch pieces stacked.  The first attempt was very unstable and difficult to walk around in.  
   Tore apart both platform feet and tried a wider vinyl piece for the base, 5 1/2 inches wide at base.  Worked much better.  Thank you Jacob for the suggestion.  Thank you Panther for the suggestion to directly screw the boots onto the platform material.  Both suggestions worked great.  Wore the feet around the house for about 15 minutes, stairs were no problem.  Next is to attach outer plastic covers for a finished look.